Thursday, July 28, 2011

Atlasov


Here's the soundtrack to my last couple of weeks. It's called Atlasov.

PapercutsDear Employee. “Treat me just like a dog, I don’t mind at all.”


Megafortress - Police Elevator. It's a great background song until one day, it creeps up on you and suddenly, you feel like you've been missing out all this time. Also, Megafortress song titles are pure brilliance.


Arcade FireSuburban War. It’s a nostalgic road-trip through my bombed out past that never even existed. Lately I’ve become addicted to this song so much that if I don’t listen to it first thing in the morning, my day is all wrong.


Two BicyclesMoon Colors. It’s a dream. If you turn off all the lights and lie on the floor next to someone you really like or love, magical things can happen.


Led ZeppelinOver the Hills and Far Away.  It’s just happy as shit. I wish I could write a song this optimistic. It’s a feel-good song.


Bon IverRe: Stacks. I haven’t listened to this for a while because really, how much of this can a person take? Sad. So, so, so sad. Which means it’s perfect and I got really into it again this week.


Thee Oh SeesBlock of Ice. The party that this evokes is the most fun anyone has ever had. It speeds up and slows down and one live version of it is so nuanced, it’s almost sophisticated but…it’s not because John Dwyer spits when he sings.

GirlsSolitude. I can’t shake this: everything about it is seductive. Impressive guitar style too.

TV on the RadioWolf Like Me. I’ve been listening to these guys a lot lately because my friend Gerard Smith recently passed away. He played the bass in this band. I’ve always loved how Tumbe Adebimpe’s voice sounds like the male Sinead O’Connor. This song just makes me wanna slam dance, jump on the couch with my friends and break it!

Nick Drake - Black Eyed Dog. This is a great song I'm dedicating to Pig Pen. I used to sing it to him.

RadioheadGive Up the Ghost. I haven’t listened to Radiohead for years. I gave up the ghost on them years ago - but by accident, I find myself listening to this song over and over again. I think Grizzly Bear may have influenced this song. The acoustic guitar, background strings and reverb on the vocals are beautiful.

Beach HouseReal Love. Victoria Legrand sings her face off and someone’s bussing plates in the background. “Real love, it finds you.” It’s like an empty bar and I’m sitting in the back waiting for some girl to get off work.

Bonus song: not on the mix.

Neil YoungHeart of Gold. The driving bass drum and crescendos along with harmonica make me feel like my life has purpose. I’ve been a miner for a heart of gold all my life and this week, gold was worth $1600 per ounce. 

No comments: